August Wrap Up
This month was hard storytellers. Excruciatingly slow, and I hate the fact that I have to admit that in this post when I strive to always bring upbeat and happy vibes in everything I post. However, I always choose transparency, and because of that I gotta tell you that this month sucked balls.
My depression has taken a huge toll out of me and I felt like I was being hit with so many different things at once this past month, that I wasn’t able to stand anymore. We moved into the apartment around mid-august, and was hit with some fees the landlady forgot to mention to us during the application process; she moved the fee deadlines to the first of September (so today) because she forgot, but it just makes the quick turnaround amount that I gotta come up with that much bigger. Punch #1 in the depression match.
Punch #2 comes from my work life, where August marked my one year anniversary at my company but also the end of my contract with the temp agency I was working alongside. August was suppose to be when I find out if my company wanted to hire me permanently or not. Instead, the day after my contract ending–my company laid off 2 people and made a company statement that they wouldn’t be hiring anyone else for the remainder of the year. Since then I haven’t gotten any communication on what is happening in regards to me, except for the fact that they continue to approve my timesheet, which my staffing agency tells me is “all that matters”. I don’t like not knowing things, as it is a huge trigger for me, so this whole situation is just one big yikes fest as I am now in professional purgatory, for lack of a better expression.
Couple these punches with a plethora of other punches that I wont bore you with and its been a hot mess. August hasn’t been my month.
Even with my fight against the depression robots, I must admit (or scavenge for depending on your outlook) I did have a few good things happen that made August more bearable! One note–YA GIRL MOVED! I have my own room, some temporary shelves thanks to some family members and a stove that I can finally make all the recipes I’ve been dying and hoarding to try.
*may the awkward whale noises commence*
Second note– I started a Patreon Account!🎉 Since December of last year, I have been silently toying with the idea of starting a Patreon account, but kept pushing it away because I wasn’t sure if I could give anything worth value in my current position in life among other things. Welp, this month I said YOLO and began one!
Depending on the level of support Patrons choose, they can receive the following:
- Exclusive content from Fictionally Sam
- Early access to featured posts
- Fictionally Sam control where you can decide the movies and books I read next
- Exclusive Patreon-only monthly playlists
- Exclusive Q&A where you can ask me literally anything
- Shout out on Blogs with a Link to your blog (if you have one)
- Post-Control where you can decide on a post topic for the blog!
- Never before seen Poetry by me
- Personalized playlists
- Handwritten letter with bookish recommendations
And so much more! As I get the hang of Patreon, I will be adding more content and possibly tacking on my handmade candles (yeah, I make candles!) as an added benefit! If you do decide to become one of my patrons, please note that the charges are made on the first of every month and I post weekly on my Patreon so there will always be some form of content floating in and out of there for you guys!
Please note, that if you aren’t able to support me over on Patreon, don’t sweat it! Amazing content will still be thrown at you here on Fictionally Sam! Patreon is just another way for me to offset some blogging costs and keep enabling my bookish addiction so that I can keep churning out the things I love to give to you all in the best format that they can be! If you still want to support but Patreon isn’t your vibe, I do have a Ko-fi, where you can slide a one-time donation over my way!
Okay self-promo over and I can stop making the awkward whale noises! Finally, here is what you all have been waiting for–what I consumed in the month of August! Grab some popcorn storytellers and enjoy the wrap up!
† denotes an ARC/book received in exchange for my honest review.
🎧 denotes Audiobook.
- 🎧Rough Sketch by Kate Canterberry – RTC – ⭐⭐⭐⭐.5
- 🎧Something About A Hot Guy by AL Jackson – RTC – ⭐⭐⭐⭐.5
- †Announcing Trouble by Amy Fellner Dominy – REVIEW – ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- Under Locke by Mariana Zapata – RE-READ – ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- †Auctioned By The Greek Billionaire – REVIEW – ⭐⭐⭐⭐
- The Best Thing by Mariana Zapata – RTC – ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- †I Hate You by Ilsa Madden-Mills – REVIEW – ⭐⭐⭐⭐.5
- †🎧Gods of Jade and Shadow by Silvia Moreno-Garcia – RTC – ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- 🎧Date Night by Meghan Quinn – RTC – ⭐️⭐⭐⭐.5
- 🎧True West by Sam Shepard – ⭐⭐
- †Hello Girls by Brittany Cavallaro & Emily Henry – REVIEW – ⭐⭐⭐.5
- 🎧Finale by Becca Fitzpatrick – REVIEW – ⭐⭐.5 (BR w/ Jamsu)
- †The Best Friend Problem by Mariah Ankenman – REVIEW – ⭐⭐.5
- 🎧Keane: Time Of My Life by Theodora Taylor – RTC – ⭐⭐⭐.5
- Wrong by Jana Aston – RE-READ – ⭐⭐⭐
August was a time of serious bops and vibes! Absolutely killed it with the music game this month as new releases kept coming through, I think like the months before I have stayed strong in my usual pop and country kick. As usual though, here is some of the songs I had on repeat this last month!
- South Of The Border – Ed Sheeran ft. Camilla Cabello, Cardi B
- THE ENTIRE LOVER ALBUM BY TAYLOR SWIFT
- Love Somebody – Brett Eldrigde
- Highwomen – The Highwomen
- Mother’s Daughter – Miley Cyrus
- Raise a Hallelujah – Bethel
- War Room – RE-WATCH
- Love on the Sidelines (Hallmark) – RE-WATCH
- Who am I kidding, literally a shit ton of hallmark movies…
- Bachelor in Paradise (ABC)
- Fleabag (Amazon), Season 2
- Queer Eye (Netflix), Season 4: Ep. 4-8
- The British Baking Show (Netflix), Season 5-6
- Wu Assassin (Netflix), Season 1: Ep. 1
- Friends (Netflix)
- Bob Ross (Netflix), Season 1: Ep. 15-24
- Buffy: The Vampire Slayer (Hulu), Season 2: Ep. 3-5
How was your August? Let me know!